Extensive settlement in this area began after the end of the Texas Revolution in 1836. The Legislature create Wood County in 1850, thus influencing further settlement. The community of Sodom developed here by 1871, when the Reverend John Brenham founded the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church in the home of Pinkney and Bettie Brooks. Charter members were Mandy Hall, Mary Garrett, Ellis Lee, Willis Oliver and Bettie Brooks.
In 1873, the town was renamed Mineola and boasted two rail lines. During that year, St. Paul Church members built their first sanctuary at the corner of Harris and Stone streets. The church held early baptisms in a creek near present-day Wren Street, as the congregation continued to grow over the next decades. In 1897, the present site was purchased and a new sanctuary was constructed. Later, under the leadership of the Rev. T. B. Johnson, who served the church from 1914 to 1941, the church remodeled its early sanctuary.
The Rev. Johnson served as moderator of the East Texas Baptist Association, as did Rev. Lawrence W. Pryor, pastor from 1945 to 1949. Rev. Pryor was also president of the Baptist Training Union Congress. These men and other pastors, including the Rev. Charles C. Colquitt who served for more than 41 years, helped establish the congregation as a long-standing Mineola institution. In 1958, during Rev. Colquitt's pastorate, the sanctuary was replaced with a larger structure. Other notable pastors following this period included the Reverends, W. McNealy, R. Lister, and W. Lawson. Numerous church leaders, who served in other capacities included deacons, deaconesses, junior deacons, trustees and many faithful members.
On May 13, 2006 under Rev. Lawson's leadership, the church held a dedication service for placement of an official Texas Historical marker on the church campus. This was an important milestone, as the church holds the distinction of being the oldest church in the city.
Currently St. Paul's pastor is Reverend Demethruis T. Boyd who was installed on April 1, 2007 with the promise of "A New Beginning". Under his leadership, the church has experienced prosperous growth. Pastor Boyd is a tremendous blessing to the church and community as he reaches out to foster good relations between all. He is currently on the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, the Parks and Recreation Board, and also holds the distinction of being Past President of the Mineola Ministerial Alliance. Under his leadership and guidance, various new and exciting ministries have been implemented, i.e., Singles and Marriage Ministry, Youth Ministry, Celebrate Recovery, Outreach, Evangelism, Senior Saints, music ministry, CHILD (Congregations Helping in Love and Dedication), and Bible Interpretation. With God's guidance and Pastor Boyd's teachings, the congregation is on a higher spiritual level as we develop a strong Christ-like concern for all. Today St. Paul continues to grow as we strive to inspire, serve, and fulfill a challenge to meet the needs of the entire community.
On June 7, 2009, after fervent prayer and bountiful blessings, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the construction of a new worship center. On January 31, 2010 a dedication service welcomed in the new sanctuary. It was a historical moment for St. Paul MBC and the entire city of Mineola. Pastor Boyd honored all past leaders of St. Paul MBC and was joined in the ribbon-cutting by Sister Debra Lawson, wife of the late Pastor Willie Lawson. The service included various denominations as well as city officials. We look forward to many years of God's favor in the new worship center.